The Ignorant Investor

Ignorance Can't Stand in the Way of My Opinion

Saturday, March 18, 2006

 

An Explanation on Infrequent Posts

I haven't posted much here in the past couple of weeks, and the lack of production is likely to continue. When I started writing the blog I saw it as a way to think through some ideas that had troubled me for years: namely, that I was losing money or failing to capitalize on trends like other, more successful investors.

One of the brutally efficient aspects of writing is that it forces you to take a vague thought and rip it down into something specific enough to be recorded in sentences and paragraphs. Feelings are amorphous and can alter themselves over time, but the rules of grammar and word choice tend to transform even the foggiest thought into concrete. Only when it's fixed in cement, sitting on the floor in front of you, do you finally get a really good look at it. That's when you know whether what you've got is gold or something resembling a pile of manure. So even if the finished product is clumsy or lacks elegance or, indeed, is utterly banal, the process of writing itself is still valuable to me as a thinking tool.

Recently, however, I've come to think that I'm writing and thinking too much about the market. Reading too many news stories and econoblogs, worrying too much about what may come down the road. For a market professional or trader, that's a way of life. But for the individual, buy-and-hold investor, it's a recipe for a big fat cup of anxiety. The tendency when you try to anticipate what will happen is to act, either to catch a rising market or to avoid some market precipice. But since it's usually unclear what the future holds, the urge to act creates the uncomfortable sensation of feeling the desperate need to do something while not knowing which move to make. In such circumstances, the urge to do something becomes irresistable even though I know rationally that doing nothing is usually the wisest course. You can imagine how well I sleep....

Based on what I've been reading in books like A Random Walk Down Wall Street and Winning the Loser's Game, the urge to act is what causes so many ignorant investors so much grief. Put the money in index funds, walk away and do something fun. Come back in 20 years and you should do better than you would have stock picking or timing the market. That's a message that appears to be backed up by research by academics outside the Wall Street mainstream (in other words, writers who don't have careers centered in institutions dedicated to rapid training and active management).

So I'm going to back off for a while. Most of what I was thinking about six months ago when I started the blog is now fixed in the archives. I'm really running out of ideas. I expect I'll continue to post intermittently if a good snippet of wisdom catches my eye and needs recording, or if I make a new move in my portfolio. Earnings season is coming up, so that will be worth a post or two. But other than that, there's not much reason for me to make daily or semi-daily posts on the market. I'm not telling anyone anything they don't already know, and there's no good reason for me to do it for my own purposes.




Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   March 2008   May 2008   January 2009   February 2009   July 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   April 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   August 2011   September 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]