The Ignorant Investor

Ignorance Can't Stand in the Way of My Opinion

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

 

Yahoo is pissing me off

An irritating thing just happened to me.

I opened my yahoo mail account, as I am apt to do when I wish to check my mail, and this picture of a woman danced across the front of the screen. After a second or two, she transmogrified into a large red heart, and after that magically shifted into a perfect facsimile of a large electronics discount retailer. It was only then that I saw the small block of words in dark type in a corner of the screen: "CLICK TO CLOSE."

I must say that the symbology of this message baffles me. What does it all mean? Dancing woman, heart, "Circuit City". After much thought, I translated the message thusly:

"Please be aware that everything you ever liked about the internet is now dead."

Our free e-mail accounts are now riddled with advertising. We can't visit a site without delousing ourselves with special software afterwards to get rid of the spyware. Our Google searches are more likely to bring up a long string of hits for online retailers than information we can use. And don't get me started on popups and flash ads-- I will personally tear the nuts off the man who invented that revenue source using a set of rusted ice tongs, should I ever run across him (and if it was a woman who perpetrated that crime, I swear I shall sleep with her and then never call her again). The internet is dead, I tell you. Stone cold murdered by commercial interests.

I can't stop this trend; I'm watching it with utter despair I'm so helpless. But I can pledge on my honor as a penniless blogger that I shall never accept advertising onto this site. Unless the price is just too high to refuse.

That's my pledge to you, the reader. Now, if I could only find some readers. Then I'd be able to get some advertising in here and make some money doing this....

Comments:
Thanks. It's only happened that one time, but I felt they'd crossed a line.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   March 2008   May 2008   January 2009   February 2009   July 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   April 2010   September 2010   October 2010   November 2010   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   August 2011   September 2011  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]